Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Someone Needs a Little Grounding

I am a woman of strong passions. Sometimes that's a blessing and other times, well, not so much.  A tad emotional (I'm the family drama queen), I've occassionally managed my emotions inappropriately. Yet haven't we all?  When we humans make a decesion based on a dark emotion, we usually make the wrong one.  Any decision made based on one is bound to create escalating difficulties.  Managing anger is the hardest.  For me to do so I had to learn patience, something I was not gifted with.  Those "wonderful" adolescent years raising my son taught me the necessity of it.  My son gave me the grounding that I needed to have just as I grounded him. 

Being patient with emotionally charged behavior - a signature of adolescence - is something I never learned though, including my own.  I have become increasingly frustrated with the behaviour eminating from the office of the Mayor of the City of Troy.  Personally, I think someone needs a little grounding.  It is no secret in local politics that I am not a fan of Troy's current mayor, the Honorable Harry Tututjian.  Politically a registered Democrat, I'm moderate; liberal in some ways and conservative in others. I don't always agree with Mr. Dunne yet I respect the way he has consistantly conducted himself and has represented his constiuents during his term.

The animosity between the mayor and myself is well established, yet I supported his decision to seek the demolition of One Monument Square.  Since I'm ardently in support of saving Troy's heritage through historic preservation, you might find that support strange.  Do you remember what was torn down to put the Concrete Monster up?
 
As a Real Citizen of Troy, I find our mayor lacking in certain behavorial controls.   He has continually allowed his emotions to inform his decision-making process, evident when he insisted that demolition begin on New Year's Eve while knowing that the law required Asbestos Abatement prior to the onset of any demolition.  He will only listen to what HE wants to hear.   If your opinion of a situation differs from his, he will respond in an adolescent manner.  He becomes defensive. Anyone who has had to oppose his views knows this to be true.

There are consequences to actions.  Unless one is taught that lesson, one is unable to understand the impact made upon others by such actions.  Harry Tutunjian personally should be held financially responsible for any fines his irrational and emotionally charged behaviour has generated. SHAME ON YOU MR. MAYOR. You need to be grounded!  Let's start with you footing the bill for the fines the tax paying residents of Troy will incur due to your immaturity.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

SO TRUE. SO TRUE!!! Marietta M.

Anonymous said...

It appears that ignorance is your strong suit. If you feel the city is guilty than you must agree that the council members under investigation are also guilty

The Dartlady said...

@ Marietta M.: Thank you for understanding. It helps to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

@ Anonymous: Perhaps you misunderstood. I hold the mayor personally responsible NOT the city or her fine citizens for these fines. I'm certain that his educated staff advised him of the law's requirements yet rather than accept them, he insisted on starting the demo. Starting the demo prior to asbestos abatement was illegal.
As for the councilmen under investigation, I have stayed out of that debate. All I will say is that I didn't vote for a single Democrat that is on the council.

Anonymous said...

As a resident of North Central I was excited to see you come forward with your Uptown group. You seemed to say all of the things we wanted to hear and promised to do a lot. You talked about seminars and bus trips but you didn't do anything. The last I heard you quit already, gave up. I don't think you've earned the right to criticize anyone else.

The Dartlady said...

@ Anon2: You are incorrect. It is winter time and although we no longer are holding regular weekly meetings, The Uptown Initiative is active. No one has quit. The Uptown Initiative is a concept not an organization. We have two very strong neighborhood associations with dedicated individuals.
Those of us who began this initiatvie are each continuing our individual efforts to revitalize our neighborhoods. It is up to each of us to take the initiative and take action to improve our neighborhoods.
The Uptown Clean and Sweeps will begin again in late March and run through October. The Floral Brigade & Commando Clean-Ups will continue with plantings throughout our targeted areas within Uptown. Our proposed Sixth Avenue Local Historic District is still on the fire too.
As for our Heritage Tours and seminars, well, I was a bit over-zealous yet do plan to make them both happen.
As for my right to my opinion, it is granted in the US Constitution. It's called Freedom of Speech. I respect your right to carry a differing opinion.

Anonymous said...

Please continue to speak your mind. It's America, afterall. Despite what the administration might think.

Fred said...

Dear Dartlady:

From my perspective, you have described the entire Republican platform for the last 30 to 40 years.