Tuesday, November 1, 2011

What a Month....and I'm not just talking the weather

October's been one heck of a month for me.  Turning 50, Central Little League, Uptown Troy Community Harvest Festival Refresh Project, Steven Elisha and Mr. Cello Residency, Gear up for November's Refresh Run,   my Godmother passing, Mom, and Aliz.  It's been a rollercoaster emotionally, an endurance race physically and an awakening experience spiritually. 

Turning 50 - If the first half century is any indication, I'm in for a great journey in the next half century.  I'm looking forward to seeing Halley's Comet again in 2061.  'Nough said.

Troy Central Little League - The league of my brothers and friends as we were growing up, the league I learned the game of baseball and how to teach kids to play it couldn't be lost to today's kids. Having operated the league for 31 years, the outgoing board of directors were ready to shutter the doors for good and sell the fields.  Many of you may have even seen the "For Sale" signs hung out.  Their resignation became effective September 30, 2011.  With support from Little League International and local Little League representatives, a dedicated group of volunteers stepped forward to ensure baseball's continuation in Uptown and on October 19, at the general meeting of the membership, I was elected President for 2012.

Uptown Troy Community Harvest Festival - The goal was realized fully on Satuday October 29th when the festival kicked off despite wickedly warmthless weather.  Hours of planning, contacting, connecting, organizing and staffing went into making sure the kids of Troy could have a blast that day.  I'm grateful to the volunteers who stuck it out, to the folks that came to enjoy it and to the vendors that helped make it happen.  So many small miracles occurred on Saturday, it's worthy of a blog all its own.

Steven Elisha and Mr. Cello - In conjunction with the Harvest Festival, my Refresh Grant allowed me the opportunity to bring something truly special to students throughout Troy.  Steven performed for students at the Ark Community Charter School, Susan Odell Taylor School, School 2, Knickerbacker Middle School and Troy Prep.  Each group of students was as unique as the buildings they are being educated in.  Kudos to the administrators of these schools for recognizing the importance of the arts in education and allowing their students to experience a personal performance by a Cello Virtuoso.  This too deserves a blog of its own.

Gear up for November's Refresh Grant run - My dear friend Xenia Allen's project Transform North Central Troy: Restore our American Neighborhood has been selected to compete in this month's campaign.  Given her committments, I've agreed to take "lead".  In otherwords, be prepared to be bombarded on facebook.  We'll be supported in this effort by our friends in North Carolina, We've entered into a formal partnership with SWOOP and National Inclusion Project.  Power caps are no longer in play, so it's up to us to muster as many online and text votes as possible.  Watch for a voting hotlink.

My Godmother - On October 22nd, during the Uptown Clean and Sweep Make A Difference Day project at Central's fields, we received a call letting us know that my dad's sister Joanne Mace had passed away.  She was now at peace, back home.  Aunt Joanne was my Godmother.  We said our farewells on October 26th.

My Mom - Friday, October 28th was a busy day.  It was Steven's first day in residency and the final day of preparation for the Harvest Fest.  My fellow Commando Cleaner Nina Glandz and I shopped our little hearts out at Sam's Club on the 24th and picked up all the burgers and hotdogs.  We dropped all that off with Pastor Willie at Missing Link Street Ministry and told him we'd get the rolls on Friday.  Friday came and while Nina was picking up those, I was meeting the delivery guys with the port-a-potties between Steven's performances.  That's when I got the call.  Mom, who had been suffering from a severe cold for over a week, was headed to the ER.  She was admitted that afternoon and is still at Samaritan as I write.  The cold turned into pneumonia. We're hoping she comes home on Wednesday.

Aliz - Aliz Koletis, a bright-spirited piece of sunshine I call friend, was involved in a terrible car wreck on Saturday after having been at our Harvest Festival.  She was at the festival as a neighbor, a supportive friend and a reporter.  As a reporter for the Parentology Show (airing on Channel 10 Sundays at 10 am)  Aliz was covering the festival for a segment.  She's one tough cookie and I have faith that she'll come through this even tougher.  My heart goes out to her parents who are sitting in a very tough place.  I know.  Been there, done that.  Fortunately, she's progressing well and her test results have been bringing back good news.  Please send out good thoughts for her continued recovery.



No comments: