Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Being an Active Member in your Community

For those who know me, they know my passions run deep and I can get fired up when they become inspired. If I sense an injustice or feel someone being attacked that can't defend themselves, I'm right there looking out for them. I could blame it on being the oldest of six siblings. Truthfully, I was just born that way. I look out for the underdog. I stand up for what I believe is the right thing to do. I speak up, speak out and take action. That's why I'm seeking this Refresh Everything grant. The families in my neighborhood NEED access to family fun activities. 

Way back in 1982, there was a massive flood in Ft. Wayne, Indiana - my son's father's hometown.  John Mellencamp did a benefit concert that summer to help raise funds for his neighbors and their communities.  He saw a need and knew a way he could help. For me, he's one of the greats.  His music is insprirational.  His Cutting Heads album is one of my favorites.  There's a line in his song Peaceful World that inspires my work in my community - "It's what you do not what you say. If you're not part of the future, then get out of the way."  Yeah, I say plenty, that's for sure and I do plenty too.

Please continue to support my efforts to bring the Uptown Troy Community Harvest Festival  back this year with your daily votes. I've partnered with two incredible projects Nicholson Heritage Association and Angels4Epilepsy.  Please remember them when voting too. Cap Collection Centers are established at CAC Woodside (a previous grant recepient), High Maintenance, Low Budget Consignment Shop, Smokers Choice in the Troy Plaza and all ARC of Rensselaer County offices.  Save those yellow caps and drop off to any location when ya can.  Voting continues until August 31st. 







No comments: