Friday, August 12, 2011

Everyone is Included

At a planning meeting for Uptown/North Central's National Night Out event, I got a bit bent out of shape at what I percieved to be an exclusion of a group interested in participating as volunteers.  As can sometimes happen with me, my passion for the underdog blinded me.  In other words, I jumped when I should have just sat still. In the end, that group was welcomed with open arms and written acknowledgement.

Maybe I'm so passionate about inclusion 'cause so many people I knew were picked on by "the popular" kids in school. Maybe I'm so passionate about inclusion 'cause kids I knew were excluded from activities due to circumstances beyond their control.  Maybe I'm so passionate about inclusion 'cause I'm a Libra.  What ever the reason, it is certainly something I am passionate about. That's why I am so excited to have partnered with the National Inclusion Project while we vie for Refresh Everything grant funding to hold the Uptown Troy Community Harvest Festival again this year.

The National Inclusion Project serves to bridge the gap that exists between young people with disabilities and the world around them. They partner with communities and inclusive programs creating awareness about the possibilities that inclusion can bring.  For me, this is a perfect partnership given that The ARC of Rensselaer was instrumental in getting last year's festival up and running.

Please continue to support my efforts to bring the Uptown Troy Community Harvest Festival back this year with your daily votes along with my partner projects National Inclusion Project,  Nicholson Heritage Association and Angels4Epilepsy. Please remember them when voting too. Cap Collection Centers are established at CAC Woodside (a previous grant recepient), High Maintenance, Low Budget Consignment Shop, Smokers Choice in the Troy Plaza and all ARC of Rensselaer County offices. Save those yellow caps and drop off to any location when ya can. Voting continues until August 31st.

2 comments:

Dianne Barbee said...

Hello, Dartlady!

The National Inclusion Project is happy to add the Troy Uptown Festival to our voting widget. I am the blogger of our trio, and I will vote your link today.

Tonight our "techie" person will add the Uptown Festival to our widget, which is creating an upsurge in reciprocal voting.

The widget is currently in the Carolina blog proper at http://carolinaonmymind-carolinaclaysblog.blogspot.com/and will remain in the sidebar throughout August.

All the best to you and the charities you support. Have a wonderful weekend!

Caro

The Dartlady said...

It truly is a pleasure to partner with a project that I have personally supported in the past. The work you do is vitally important to creating a more open and inclusive environment for all to work and play in.